- +1 808-650-5050
- Mon - Sun: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Visit Dole Plantation: One Of Oahu Landmarks
About Dole Plantation
Oahu, the most populated part of Hawaii, boasts of the most famous attractions in Honolulu. Despite being flocked by millions of visitors each year due to the beautiful beaches, there are also many places to see on Oahu. One of these is the Dole Pineapple Plantation.
Are you planning to visit Oahu? Learn more about the Dole Pineapple Plantation, one of Oahu’s landmarks.
James Dole came to Honolulu in 1899 where he bought 64 acres of land in Oahu. Dole, 22 years old, planted a variety of crops until he began his pineapple venture. Later, Dole established two canneries and began advertising, which made the company rise in popularity.
The years rolled on and the Dole pineapple business flourished with the purchase of automatic pineapple peelers. In 1950, they built a fruit stand in the fields. Almost four decades later, they built a plantation-style home, which later became a living museum and archive that honors the life and works of James Dole.
Things To Do In Dole Plantation, Oahu
What started as a small fruit stand has now become one of Hawaii’s most visited attractions. If you visit Dole Plantation, you will experience an educational and exciting tour for guests of all ages.
You can stroll around the Pineapple Garden Maze when you visit the plantation. You can ride a train for a tour among the vistas in the fields. You will also experience the development of Hawaiian tradition, agriculture, and crafts in their Garden tour.
Riding The Train
The Pineapple Express train tour will last 20 minutes to cover the two miles of greenery. The custom-made train will take you around a plantation, which shows pineapples in different stages of growth from new plants to harvest. Expect to have a refreshing taste of a sample pineapple.
The Garden Maze
In 2008, the Guinness World Records declared Dole’s Garden Maze as the largest maze in the world. There are tens of thousands of tropical plants growing over more than three acres of land. You can find navigational clues from eight concealed stations. If you complete the maze in record time, a prize will be given to you. They will also inscribe your name at the maze entrance.
The Plantation Garden Tour
The Plantation Garden Tour is self-guided. Take yourself to more than eight gardens filled with crops including cocoa, coffee, and other tropical fruits. This tour is sure to satisfy all your senses. Take in the beautiful colors of ripe fruits and smell their sweetness. You can also stop for lunch at the Plantation Grille.
Here are some tips you may want to know if you are planning to see this beautiful attraction, which is one of the best places to see in Oahu.
- Best time to visit: The Dole Plantation is lovely all year long but we suggest going there during spring when most plants are blooming.
- Plan your day: If you want to do all the activities on the plantation including a garden tour, maze, and train ride, set aside at least four hours of the day. This gives you enough time to take in everything during the tour without much hurry. However, if you’re time-constrained, we suggest just getting the train ride. Here, you can learn about the history of the place. This should take about one hour including shopping in their gift shop.
- What to bring: Aside from your things, don’t forget to bring sunscreen, water, and wear comfortable shoes since most of the time you will be walking.
Going To The Plantation
The Plantation opens daily from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
There is no entrance fee for the visitor’s center, but the activities and tours are paid. You can book tours before going or you can also pay for tickets at the kiosk when you get there.
- Plantation Train Tour: $10 for children, $12 for adults, and $11.25 for military or residents
- Pineapple Maze Tour: $6.25 for kids, $8.25 for adults, and $7.25 for military or residents
- Plantation Garden Tour: $6.50 for kids, $7.25 for adults, and $6.75 for military or residents
- All Activities: $21 for children, $25 for adults, and $23 for military or residents
- They also have a different group rate for those with more than 25 people coming on the tour.
Visit Dole Plantation: One Of Oahu Landmarks
The Dole Plantation is one of the best tourist attractions in Hawaii. If you’re planning to check Oahu out, book a limo with us for convenient transportation to and from Dole Plantation (and everywhere else on Oahu) and travel in style.